Kathrynn's Reviews > Master of the Highlands

Master of the Highlands by Veronica Wolff

Apr 14, 09

bookshelves: own, 2009, theme-darn_english_rule, fiction-time-travel, gentle-reads, reviewed
Recommended for: Fans of Fiction Time-Travel
Read in April, 2009

To say that I found Master of the Highlands disappointing would be an understatement. I went into reading it expecting a sexy highlander with modern heroine who went back in time. What I got was that, but with a lot of extraneous fiction thrown in and very little romance between the h/h.

At times, felt the author spent too much time explaining the character's actions when she already covered it. For me, this author has a lot of potential, just lay off the long extrapolations a bit and beef up the romance. Also, felt the author threw in the characters that later appeared in the book to beef up the story. Found it frustrating.

And, would have liked for the rhymes and riddles to have come together better. The story took too long to set up the main characters as this book only had 280 pages, but very small print. The hero does come around, but it's at the very end and left me wanting more from him.

This was nothing like a Karen Marie Moning book. Nothing. The h/h don't even kiss until well over half-way in the book. When they suddenly professed their love...I was shocked. The h/h have ONE intimate moment together and it is very quick and unimaginative. Felt cheated.

The author tried to bring in other characters, like a Robyn Carr book, but touched so little on them that it became more a nuisance and I grew more frustrated with the two main characters NOT interacting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of the Highlands.

04/13/2009 page 83
27.3% "A tad slow getting started, but picking up now..."
04/14/2009 page 200
65.79% "More fiction than romance...the two haven't even kissed, yet. Eighty pages to go."
04/14/2009 page 280
92.11% "Did not care for this book. It was more fiction than romance."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MelissaB This one was a tad boring at parts, I liked the other book I read by her better (Warrior of the Highlands). There wasn't enough "steam" in this one for me plus you are right - it was like historical fiction in the tone.

Kathrynn Thank your for the info. I didn't care for this one and was debating how far I should push the other two in the TBR stack.

MelissaB Warrior of the Higlands does have a similar historical fiction feel but it has more romance and a nice hero. I don't mind a bit of historical fiction but this book was a bit slow.

Kathrynn Yeah, it was for me, too.

message 5: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Eesh. I hate when the romance in a ROMANCE book takes forever to get going. Sounds like a bad one there Kathrynn :-/