Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥'s Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The ending was very anti-climactic, and I have a headache at the thought that I have to read 2 more books to find out what happens. I knew it was a trilogy but I still expected this book to be more self contained. And the first-person present-tense narrative was extremely distracting. Maybe I'm just not used to it. But I was hooked before the end, the suspense was kept up well and the characters were extremely appealing. I will finish the series for the characters alone. I expect them to be very different from this one, since this was set pretty much entirely in the arena. I have no idea how they will compare, so we shall see. This may deserve a 3.5/5, for the characters if nothing else.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Liked

Suzanne Collins
“I don't want to lose the boy with the bread.”

Suzanne Collins
“And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.”

Suzanne Collins
“I'm coming back into focus when Caesar asks him if he has a girlfriend back home. Peeta hesitates, then gives an unconvincing shake of his head.

Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what’s her name?" says Caesar.

Peeta sighs. "Well, there is this one girl. I’ve had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I’m pretty sure she didn’t know I was alive until the reaping."

Sounds of sympathy from the crowd. Unrequited love they can relate to.

She have another fellow?" asks Caesar.

I don’t know, but a lot of boys like her," says Peeta.

So, here’s what you do. You win, you go home. She can’t turn you down then, eh?" says Caesar encouragingly.

I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning...won’t help in my case," says Peeta.

Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.

Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me.”

Suzanne Collins
“You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.”

Suzanne Collins
“And while I was talking, the idea of actually losing Peeta hit me again and I realized how much I don't want him to die. And it's not about the sponsors. And it's not about what will happen when we get home. And it's not just that I don't want to be alone. It's him. I do not want to lose the boy with the bread.”

Suzanne Collins
“No, it happened. And right when your song ended, I knew - just like your mother - I was a goner,' Peeta says.”

Suzanne Collins
“You have a... remarkable memory."
"I remember everything about you. You're the one who wasn't paying attention.”

09/20/2011 page 162