Jen's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Mar 11, 10

bookshelves: humour, literary-classics, owned, read-in-2010
Read from March 02 to 11, 2010

Rating: 3.5/5

The very idea of a merger between the B-grade supernatural and a famous English classic just sounds frightening on paper (and it is), but in reality it merely feels like a weak cup of your favourite tea.

That said, I enjoyed this little cheese romp into parody; despite the mishandling of some of Austen's finest prose there were some great laugh out loud moments, like Mr Bennet's shouting out of the "Pentagon of Death" at the ball, or Elizabeth physically attacking Mr Darcy at one crucial point. But of course the zombie novelty just wears out when Graham-Smith has to return to the original story and complete the romance.

Perhaps I'm simply drawn to utter rubbish (but I wouldn't have it any other way); absolute Austenite purists should steer clear away, but that doesn't mean a purist may not enjoy the read, if they so choose not to take this at all seriously.

(Not really) Fun fact
I read this only on public transport for the last eight uni days, and during that time I've had perplexed looks from other people and overt giggles from schoolgirls (Yesterday, with this conversation next to me: "there's another book with Sea Monsters or something!" one girl announced to her friend. "Mum would love that!" said friend responded.). Obviously this book is the sort on which everyone would like to share their opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.