Drebbles's Reviews > Rose Hill

Rose Hill by Pamela Grandstaff

Mar 30, 09

Theo Eldridge was a bully and very much hated in Rose Hill, so it isn’t a surprise when someone finally murders him. The only real question is who the killer is and police chief Scott Gordon has plenty of suspects who all have reasons to want Theo dead, including his own family. A potential eyewitness to the murder is missing and Scott would love to find him. Scott works reluctantly with Sarah Albright from the county sheriff’s office while trying to avoid her passes and trying to convince Maggie Fitzpatrick to enter into a relationship with him. Rose Hill may be a small town, but life there is complicated.

Often when reading a book, it will take me to a place that’s fun to visit, but I don’t miss it when I’m done. Other times, I’ll visit a place that I miss long after I’ve finished reading the book. “Rose Hill”, I’m happy to say, is the latter. I loved my visit to Rose Hill and was sorry to see it end. The book is full of interesting characters – Maggie, Scott, Sarah, Sam, Hannah, and many more – all of whom are multi-layered characters with secrets all keep buried, sometimes even from themselves. Rose Hill is a small town and author Pamela Grandstaff does a great job of making Rose Hill come alive and capturing small town life. Scott is one of the best developed characters I’ve come across in a mystery novel. He doesn’t gossip and consequently misses a lot of what goes on around town. He is weak and easily manipulated, especially by his mother, and he knows it. He and Maggie are an interesting couple and I want to know what happens to them next and more abut what happened to Maggie in the past that makes her so reluctant to commit to a relationship. The mystery elements are well done and readers will enjoy trying to figure out who killed Theo, but it is the characters that drive this novel and make it work so well.

I loved my visit to “Rose Hill” and hope to visit it again. Well done.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rose Hill.