Lisa's Reviews > Winter of the World

Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Jan 10, 13

Read in January, 2013

True confessions time: Ken Follett is one of my favorite authors. When I want a fast-moving story that requires little effort on my part, he is my go-to guy. I think of his books as candy: they offer no nutritive value but are fun to consume.

Winter of the World is the second in his (20th) Century Trilogy. At nearly 1000 pages it isn't a great book to carry around with you, but if you've got time to curl up, it is a lot of fun. Set in the years leading up to, during, and immediately after World War II, it follows characters in England, the USSR, Germany, and the US. The settings are historically accurate - Follett does do his research - and the characters are easily distinguishable one from another, though they tend to fall into stereotypes. Follett's great love of happily-ever-after endings, in which the good prevail and the bad are vanquished, tends to give his books a fairytale-like quality, limiting their believability even more than the often-improbable circumstances in which his characters find themselves.

In sum: Great literature this isn't. A fun, fast-paced, sweeping story it is. I read it as my mental break from school. Highly recommended as a vacation book.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter of the World.