Trudi's Reviews > Under the Dome

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: stephen-king, small-town-lives, 2009-reads, pulpy-goodness, group-in-peril, survive-this
Read in December, 2009

Good but not great. My expectations for this one were extremely high folks, perhaps too high to be fair. King has delivered so many outstanding epics that it's hard not to expect that caliber of storytelling every single time, but I've come to realize that this is just not humanly possible, even from the master.

Under the Dome starts with a bang (Dome Day wherein a small town is encased in a glass-like dome) and maintains its narrative momentum throughout. It hurtles along at an almost break-neck speed, but for a book that's over a 1000 pages, such a pace begins to wear in places. It becomes an at-times uncomfortable frenetic pattern of -- and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened.

Nobody writes with such vigor and insight about small-town behaviors like King, but here King stretches even my ability to suspend disbelief when he introduces so many violent sociopaths contained within the borders of one sleepy town. The stress of such a bizarre situation as the Dome could quite possibly bring out the very worst in many of us, I give you that. I'm reminded of William Golding's Lord of the Flies, and even Jose Saramago's Blindness. Even King has explored this thematic terrain before in his brilliant novella The Mist. What's disappointing here is that the villains of Under the Dome are so very villainous, as if ripped from the pages of a Marvel comic. When I think of the depth and breadth of psychopath Annie Wilkes (who still haunts my worst nightmares), Big Jim Rennie and his son Junior just fall flat.

These are my disappointments. But there was also a lot of cringing, white-knuckled pleasure along the way. Some sequences are rendered so well with such command of detail that they unfold in full technicolor like scenes from a movie. King's humor, always appreciated, is rampant in these many pages, and I got the impression that he was having a blast, so that made me happy too. For a book that's an intimidating 1074 pages, it's a fast read and fairly rips along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meagan (new)

Meagan Uh, and I KNOW you don't mean that literally because this is a top priority POP pick with multiple holds so cataloguing kicked it up a notch and got it the hell out! Woo!

Trudi And it is MUCH appreciated ;-D

Seriously though ... the waiting is so very long between King books. I knew this was coming down the pipeline over a year ago and I can't believe I finally have a copy in my hands! Bliss. Not Jensen Ackles bliss, but it'll do!

message 3: by Meagan (new)

Meagan lol! Well, after having seen the size of that thing, I truly hope that it is worth the wait!! Enjoys!!

Jason WORD. This is a great review. I totally agree.

Trudi Jason wrote: "WORD. This is a great review. I totally agree."

Thanks Jason!

Bill Exactly how I felt about this!

Trudi Bill wrote: "Exactly how I felt about this!"

Great minds think alike Bill :)

message 8: by Harry (new)

Harry Was there a movie made of this? I haven't read this, but I'm seeing the imagery quite clearly. I must be getting old. LOL