Raina {The LUV'NV}'s Reviews > Shades of Earth

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Jan 18, 13

bookshelves: series-complete, sci-fi, young-adult
Read from January 17 to 18, 2013 — I own a copy

Wow. Now THIS is conclusion to a trilogy! I usually start the last book of a series with trepidation, not wanting that world to come to an end and because the final book rarely, if ever, lives up to my expectations. Beth Revis surpassed them in Shades of Earth . It's my favorite book of the series, by far, and that's saying a lot since I floved the first two books, Across the Universe and A Million Suns .

There isn't much I can say without spoiling it or the series for you, and I think knowing as little possible when you go into either one would be best, so here's what you should know.

There's non-stop action—and deaths. Lots of death. My heart thudded with every chapter. My hands were sweaty at every turn, and my eyes devoured every page, every word, in less than six hours. Be prepared to be consumed, to ignore your friends and family and call for takeout (or ignore food completely).

Amy, Elder, and the citizens of Godspeed finally land on Centauri-Earth, and it was everything I was hoping for. More, actually. Beth Revis created a believable world reflecting home that is elementally advanced and pure, archaic in habit and habitat, and deeply rooted in what it means to be human. To not simply want to survive—that's animal instinct—but to thrive. To want and love something so much you'll won't let it go, whether it be freedom from metal walls, a mind-numbing drug, or an oppressive body of people.

I love how the author captured that idea from multiple facets in the series and within each book. No matter the location, the decade, or type of person, faction, or "species," people just want to live, really live. The intentions and desires were so clear. The emotions were palpable, and the character growth was fantastic! Even more, Beth Revis arcs the whole series around to the previous books. Nothing was superfluous or left unchecked and unresolved.

While I would've liked more mystery, less predictability, I couldn't be happier with how this series ended. When I closed the book, instead of feeling a little sad or even just satisfied, I felt what a rarely ever do when one says goodbye: Hope.

I highly recommend reading the Across the Universe series if you haven't already. And if you have, what are you waiting for? Pick up Shades of Earth !You won't be disappointed. You'll get an example of the best conclusions to a series.

Oh, and if you have read the series, you might understand what this means (it's from Across the Universe , I believe). My favorite line that made me laugh and whoop for Beth Revis's brilly writing:
"Have some water," I say, handing him another glass. "It'll make you feel better."

* Review also on the The LUV'NV blog.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Earth.

01/17/2013 page 149
40.0% "Wow. There's a death in every chapter, and I didn't like Chris one bit until now, how he showed necessary mercy for the dying Dr. Gupta.

But was it really a mercy, or is it something more? Chris seems so ... unearthly, for an Earth-born soldier."
01/18/2013 page 329
89.0% "Oh my God. OMFG!!!!"
01/18/2013 page 369
100.0% "Wow. Now THAT is how you end a series!"