Scott's Reviews > Outliers: The Story of Success

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Jun 23, 2009

Read in March, 2009

Loved this one. It's even better than Tipping Point in my opinion. The basic premise is that in this culture we tend to individualize success way too much, when in fact if you dig a bit deeper you will often find there are many other factors aside from personal accomplishment that contribute to why a person is successful. This book really verified what I had observed in the music industry for years - that success is 20% effort and 80% being in the right place at the right time & knowing the right people. It’s absolutely true, but it sounds like sour grapes to most people.

Presented in the usual Gladwell style of making the point and then using the rest of the book to provide examples, this is informative and thoroughly enjoyable. And just so I don't turn anyone against this prematurely, he's not saying that success is all luck or that you don't need to work hard - just that really successful people often combine hard work with a bit of timing and luck (that they are often fully aware of and willing to admit to) to get where they are. It's just that somehow our culture tends to not process things that way. Just read it. You won’t be sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.