Marian Willeke's Reviews > Vía Revolucionaria

Vía Revolucionaria by Richard Yates

Apr 21, 09

bookshelves: novel
Read in April, 2009

While well written, Yate’s approach to life had a depressing “Matrix” (in reference to the movie) effect that left me feeling a little hopeless. I give it higher marks for pulling the reader into the genre, identifying the character roles well, and writing it so effectively. However, this is balanced with the really bad marks for a thoroughly depressing story. I know there was a movie made based on the book, but I couldn’t help but think that it probably would serve better as a Broadway show.

Yates explores how the American Dream really isn’t all that dreamy. The unhappy couple does all the right things: a solid job in the city, cute house in the country, nice kids, friends, outings, etc., but there’s contentment missing. It’s all fake as friends care but actually judge, and there is an unsuccessful effort to avoid the stain of cookie cutter suburbia. Set in the 1950s, the Wheeler’s attempt to break out of the never ending cycle, but fail. The failure is marked by their family being essentially destroyed and the subject table gossip by the friends who seem somewhat oblivious of the boring American Dream cycle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vía Revolucionaria.