Shannon's Reviews > First Comes Marriage

First Comes Marriage by Mary Balogh

Mar 27, 09

bookshelves: anglophilia, historicalromance

The first in Balogh's new series about the Huxtable family. Three sisters and their young brother leave their small village when their brother becomes an Earl unexpectedly. This story is Vanessa's the widowed middle sister who marries Elliott Wallace, their brother's guardian and heir to a Dukedom. The story centers on Vanessa and Elliott's unconventional marriage and the rags to riches story of the siblings and their new lives. This is not one of my favorite Balogh books but I am thrilled that she is writing a new series. The constant referrals to Vanessa's plain looks got tedious and I really never warmed up to Elliott. He is written as unlikable until almost 300 pages into the book and suddenly their love story is wrapped up! I did however like Vanessa's cherry personality and the extended family of characters especially their mysterious cousin Con. Hopefully the next book about younger sister Katherine is a little more spicy and interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Comes Marriage.