Susie's Reviews > Undone

F_50x66
Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in April, 2009

When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure...it seemed too much like the author trying to replicate the voice of a teenager, like she was relying on too many pop culture references and attempting to create a language that was like a teen talking. But I kept reading and the story took hold and the author found her voice and the characters she ended up writing ended up feeling more real than many of the other books I've read. It ended up reminding me more of Blake Nelson. The story is of a girl lost in trying to find her own identity, unsure of all the people around her and even more unsure of herself. There's tragedy and where I was afraid it would just be a catalyst for the book's tagline "what five ways would you tempt fate?" it ended up being more of a study of life, death, fate, choices and the fear of all of those things. In the end I thought this book was insightful without being heavy handed with "answers", sad without being Lauralee Daniels, and true to how teens strive to find who they are in context (and because) of everyone around them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undone.