Adam's Reviews > Fablehaven

bookshelves: 2009-reads, fantasy, ya, read-twice
Recommended to Adam by: Corina Olsen
Recommended for: Harry Potter fans
Read in March, 2009, read count: 2

The fourth book of the series is out, so I'm rereading the first three novels. The second time through a book isn't always the greatest, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book yet again. The writing is eloquent and sharp, so I found the pages flying past.

I also really appreciate how the series, like Harry Potter before it, blazes a new trail in the fantasy genre. Rather than a common Lord of the Rings rip off like so many books I've read, this book has a unique premise.

But a unique premise is only as good as the author's execution of that premise, and that is where Brandon Mull truly shines. One of the main reasons, I think, that the Harry Potter series is so beloved is Rowling creative and humorous attention to details. Discovering what Wizard candy is like and what a Wizard hospital is like and what kind of mischief a Wizard can get into was truly a joy. Likewise, seeing and interacting with all the magical creatures in Fabelhaven was fun.

The only think that irks me about the book is how annoying Seth can be. Is it possible for a person to be that obstinate? Thankfully, I know he gets better as the series progresses.

Anyways, if you are looking for a quick, fun read, pick up this book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fablehaven.