Jared's Reviews > The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose

2141983
Mar 24, 09

bookshelves: absolute-favorites, biographical, spiritual
Recommended to Jared by: Newsweek
Recommended for: everyone
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

This thought provoking book written from the outsider perspective of the evangelical community was a fantastic read. The author attempted to be as empathetic and open-minded as his worldview allowed. I really give Kevin Roose an "A" for effort on that, and actually working hard to understand and complete the course material for his classes at Liberty.

It is odd, because, after reading this book, I come away with a more empathetic view toward Roose, and a clearer understanding of the incongruencies of the evangelical life/doctrine that only an outsider can really notice.

Whether agnostic, atheist, evangelical, follower of Jesus of any type, or some other faith, this book is really a valuable read. It helps humanize the evangelical culture by giving a view into it through people at Liberty, and just how much variation there is within the movement.

Plus, I couldn't put the stupid thing down. I read the last 200 pages straight through until I finished it. Good work and good read. Visit Kevin Roose's website

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Disciple.

03/22/2009 page 66
20.37% "If you are a follower of Christ from the evangelical strain, or if you don't know any (or very few) evangelicals, you ought to read it."
show 1 hidden update…