Deborah's Reviews > The Reader

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Mar 22, 2009

Read in March, 2008

I first heard about this book when I found out the movie by the same title was based on a book. I have been meaning to go see the movie, but had the opportunity to first read the book, so I decided to purchase it. Wow, what a great read. Such complex themes and emotions. Also seeing how Michael's character develops from a boy to a man and how he has dealt with his relationship with Hanna is really interesting.
It was also a great insight as to how Germans after WW2 dealt with Nazi Germany and the legacy that generation left with the country. I don't know a whole lot about the war crimes or trials from that era but this was a fascinating read and look into that time period.
I read this book very quickly - within a couple of hours. In my book (pun intended) that shows how good it is. I know I'll probably re-read this one again.
This is a book that I'll recommend to others to read. It's heavy stuff, but it was really good. I'm also looking forward to seeing the movie. Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actors, and I'm curious to know how she'll play Hanna's character. It'll be interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reader.