laaaaames's Reviews > A Summer to Die

A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry

Aug 26, 07

bookshelves: favorites
Read in August, 2007

I haven't read this book since I was eleven or twelve, but I bought a used copy because I have such extremely fond memories of it. My copy has new cover art, so I got all nostalgic seeing the thumbnail of the old cover here.

It's funny how much of this book I remembered vividly and how much I'd forgotten all together. It's a beautiful story, though, through and through, the kind that makes me happy to be alive.

I recall relating to Meg so much as a kid, so I was surprised to find myself relating to her even more as an adult, both in retrospect and present-day ways. It makes me happy to think I read this back when I was still figuring out who I was; if this book informed current me at all, I couldn't thank Lois Lowry enough.

This time around I was irritated with the parents for not giving Meg more information about what was going on with Molly. I also wish Ben and Maria hadn't been married and that everyone had learned a beautiful lesson about nontraditional relationships. But these are honestly small quibbles. I love this book, and I treasure it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Summer to Die.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Hi!

I hope you don't mind me commenting on your review. I loved this book when I was young, and I just re-read it last week. Like you, I found myself relating to Meg so much- both as a kid and as an adult. I love that Lowry created a book (and character!) that is really timeless.

I also found myself irritated with the lack of info from Meg's parents. I wonder, though, if that is just a reflection of the time period in which the book was written?

Personally, I was glad that Maria and Ben were married. But I *love* the way Lowry wrote the birth scene, and how open Maria was about the birth and breastfeeding. Even today it's rare to find women who talk that openly and positively about the more difficult aspects of childbirth and motherhood.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share my thoughts. :)

laaaaames Jennifer, of course I don't mind! I think you're right about the lack of info given to Meg being due to the time period. Also I think it does make the inevitable realization that much more painful.

As for Maria/Ben, I kind of go back and forth, because I love showing marriage as something that doesn't have to be cookie-cutter and suburban, but I also thought it would have been a nice lesson to be like "Hey, no, we're not married, but we're committed to each other for life, and isn't that the important part anyways?"

I loved EVERYTHING about the birth/breastfeeding. Lovely lovely lovely.

Rayleen Like you, I read this at the age of 11-ish and also related to "Nutmeg". I recall the moment I finished the book at 2:00 am. My older sister, who had been ill was sleeping in her bed next to mine (we shared a room). I crawled into her bed and held her so tight I thought she might burst. I haven’t read it as an adult but your review has inspired me to do so.