Jennifer's Reviews > Breaking Dawn

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Apr 16, 09

bookshelves: american-literature, fiction, i-can-t-believe-i-read-this, own, young-adult
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I had been warned by several people whose opinions I trust that this book would let me down, and leave me disappointed. Perhaps this lowered my expectations, perhaps I came into it expecting more of the same.

This was by far, the best book in the series. This was the reward for sitting through all 90210 crap in all the other books. I will say this however: Reneesme is the WORST NAME EVER. It's REALLY bad. Cringe-worthy, actually. Every time your eyeball traipses across that name (and it does a lot in the second half) you will find yourself shaking your head and wondering when a name like that will make it onto People Magazines "Silliest Celebrity Baby Names" list.

Like all the previous books in the series, this one is totally predictable, right down to the ending and the finale. There are no surprises, but like a well-crafted work of art, you maybe familiar with it, but you still enjoy it, even if it has no novelty.

For me, this book was far more fantastical from beginning to end than the previous three, and I think that was its appeal. The less rooted in reality Stephenie Meyer is the better, it seems. This book also brought about the return of the Volturi, which as I've said before, was what redeemed Eclipse for me.

This book was far more mature (read: NOOKIE] than its predecessors as well, and I think that helped its appeal as well.

Still, there's nothing new. From the minute Edward and Bella finally get it on, you know how the rest of the book is going to go, but still, it's fun, craftily written and engaging. I was not disappointed at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Dawn.