Louise's Reviews > Falling Angels

Falling Angels by Barbara Gowdy

Apr 06, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in May, 2003

Another well-written story by Barbara Gowdy!! I'll be on the lookout for more of her work.

Norma, Sandy and Louise (Lou) grow up with a demanding, cantankerous, military minded father in Toronto during the 60's. I'm not so sure I could have coped as well as they seemed to living with him. Their mother had her own set of problems brought on by dropping her 1st child, a son, over Niagara Falls to his death. She drinks herself into oblivion each and every day of her life but at the same time, has a profound affect on each of her daughters. Norma, Sandy and Lou are left to shop for groceries, clean house, cook meals, do laundry and be at the front door each day upon their father's arrival for inspection! Such a tragic life these girl's lead with an inattentive mother, a demanding, moody and at times absent father. Each of the 3 daughters cope with their dysfunctional situation in different ways.

The story is full of surprises and unexpected happenings. The ending totally shocked me!

I really would have liked the book to continue on a wee bit more so we could learn where Norma, Sandy and Lou went from the end.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Angels.