Brian Godsey's Reviews > The Playboy

Jul 23, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2009

I'm reading this book because my aunt gave it to me as a Christmas present after I placed on my Christmas list, "10) YOUR favorite book." She laughed when I opened it, but I promised to read it, and now I am. I'm halfway through.

It's not a bad book; having never read a romance novel, it's definitely a different experience. I find myself alternating between wanting to really meet the characters (and steal the girl from the guy) and rolling my eyes at the really overdone expressions about what the characters are feeling. I have read quotes like, "...but it wasn't just a physical connections, but an emotional connection as well..." I suppose that's for the ladies. I also don't really care to read the phrase "feminine mound" any more either, because it has occurred enough in the first half of the book. I doubt I'll get a reprieve, though.

UPDATE:
The phrase "feminine mound" did NOT appear again in the book! But... they talked about feelings a lot more. This book reminded me of a Lifetime movie; the first half isn't so bad, but then the second half bogged itself down in cliché realizations of emotional mistakes and blunt statements that can't possibly be true, like "She realized that she would be happy with him forever."

The book overall was a nice respite from Anna Karenina, which took me approximately ten times longer to read. I doubt I'll be reading more romance novels in the near future (though the first 20 pages of the third in this Chandler brothers series were enticing) but I'm glad I've been exposed to the genre at least once.

NOTE: I give this book three stars for the genre. Romance novels in general are minus two stars from the normal scale.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Playboy.

07/21/2009 page 260

Lindsay That's a cool thing to put on your Christmas list.

Brian Godsey I thought so, too. I'd do it again, too, except I'm not done reading all the books I already have.