Corrie's Reviews > The Shelters of Stone

The Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel

F_50x66
Mar 22, 09

Read in March, 2009

Let me first say that I read the earlier books of this series approximately 20 years ago. I remember really enjoying them. At that time, at least to me, they were very original and exciting. The only complaint I had was that Ayla was such an 'amazing' woman, that it wouldn't have shocked me if the author had her invent electricity, the automobile and the computer since she invented everything else known to mankind.

However, reading this book now really made me wonder if they were as good as I thought they were. I am convinced that Jean M. Auel had to have been paid by the word. This book was 900 pages and probably could have been 500. The same stories are told again and again and again - and yet again - throughout the book. Also, each time anyone is introduced, it is half a page just to get through their 'formal names'. I still think the premise of the story is good, but having to get through all of the fluff detracted from the actual story and lessened the enjoyment of reading the book for me. I just wanted to be done so I could move on to a new book. Even having said all that, I do kind of want to know what is in store for the characters in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shelters of Stone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Jan 26, 2010 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie I think your memory of the first books being really interesting is accurate. I just read all five of these for the first time in the past month. The first two books are excellent and the third is very good. I think the last two lack in plot though and are way too repetitive.... Well they are all repetitive, but the repition gets more and more annoying as you go on through the series.

I'm totally with you about Ayla inventing everything worthwhile known to man.