Vicki's Reviews > Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely

Jun 08, 09

bookshelves: marketing, audible, brain-related
Read in February, 2009

This is an interesting look at how an individual's decision-making process is often at odds with what is objectively beneficial for him or her. Seems a tad repetitive at times, but the examples and studies outlined are undeniably fascinating and help illuminate factors that producers and marketers need to take into account in approaching a potential audience. This would be a great tandem read with Martin Lindstrom's Buyology, which looks at the brain science underlying human desires and wants.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Predictably Irrational.

message 1: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe I've got this in my stacks to read. It's seems to be like Stumbling Towards Happiness.

Vicki That sounds interesting--it sounds like an approach from more of a personal, self-improvement perspective, whereas PI is maybe more geared toward marketers. I'll have to take a look at STH.

message 3: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe STH isn't intended as self-help, I don't think, so much as very readable science. I'm a fool for this stuff about how we think and why so much of what we think is wrong.

Vicki Oh, I love that stuff, too! Always been nuts for brain science and analyzing the thought process. One of my favorite periodicals is Scientific American Mind--you ought to look at that one--it's amazing. Maybe I should have gone into psychology or some related field.

Kaethe wrote: "STH isn't intended as self-help, I don't think, so much as very readable science. I'm a fool for this stuff about how we think and why so much of what we think is wrong."

message 5: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe Exactly. Unfortunately, all those English lit courses in which Freaudian interpretation waas applied to fiction relly put me off.

Vicki Freud--bah! :(