Jen's Reviews > SilverFin

SilverFin by Charlie Higson

Mar 22, 09

bookshelves: rider-read-alikes, kids-books
Read in March, 2009

-This book starts out slow. It is not like Alex Rider, where the adventures come straight away. James is also not as cocky as Alex. But this is book 1. James is very wishy washy at first and acts wimpy. That changes as the book goes on.
-James Bond’s parents died in a climbing accident. So, James spends his time at a Eaton, a boarding school in England, and with relatives. When James spends the Easter holiday with his Uncle Max and his Aunt Charmian, he finds out that something evil is going a on a Hellebore Castle. Hellebore Castle is owned by Randolph Hellebore; his son George goes to school with James. George and James do not get along, but that changes.
-A young boy disappeared by the Castle and Hellebore is very secretive. James and his friend Red Kelly start snooping around the castle and they find out that Hellebore is a very evil man.
-Can James stop his evil plans? The second half of the book tells you.
** I wonder if the second book in the series: Blood Fever, is more fast paced?
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SilverFin.

Timothy  howard I belief that your opening arguement is slightly unfair, becaus of the fact that this book takes place between the first and second world wars, and Alex Rider is modern day. The writer had to inform the readers of the way things worked in the time frame.

Timothy  howard ** believe. Also, the second book starts slow too, but picks up the action quicker.

Zach S I agree with Timothy when he says that your opening argument is weak. I feel that the book has a great pace, right from the beginning.

Alex Just I would also have to agree with Timothy, in the sense that you need to bear in mind the differences in eras of both books. However as you pointed out Jen, the differences in character between Alex and James are quite notable, which is something I think gives the story of SilverFin more charm. The other books in the series, I found, improved with each new addition. I would recommend you give them a shot :)