Barbara Elsborg's Reviews > Category Five: The Hurricane-Force Novel

Category Five by Philip S. Donlay

2050186
Mar 22, 09

Read in March, 2009

My friend loved it and so I bought it and sadly didn't like it all. I'm tired of reading about heroines who've had a child with the hero and kept quiet about it. The reason for her doing so was so contrived as to be nonsensical. In fact most of the plot seemed that way to me. The huge chunk of backstory about the Russian sub, dragged the reader out of the story for around 30 pages - 29 too long. It was a clear indication that this was to be followed up later - so the end was no surprise. What was a surprise was the way characters spoke in such tidy coherent sentences when they were on the point of drowning. In seas like that, the amount of moisture in the air would have finished them off before the sea did. The action bits were well paced, the rest was far too slow so the whole thing was like a rollercoaster. This sort of far fetched action story would work for me with characters I loved. But I didn't love them. They were far too shallow. The author seemed too intent on tying up every loose end he'd created than making us love the MCs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Category Five.