Lara's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Dec 17, 14

bookshelves: read-in-2009, historical-fiction, young-adult, death, books-about-books, holocaust
Read in April, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is the first book that's made me cry in a long, long time. It's that beautiful.

There are some books that you get so drawn into that you can't put them down--you want to spend every free second there. This one is not like that. It's hard to put down, yes, but I felt a deliberateness in reading that I've never felt before. I could not read it in the car between stop lights, for instance, because I felt it would somehow be unfair to the story; cheapen it. And I didn't want to miss a single word due to distraction or interruption.

Because this is a book all bound up in words, and the power and beauty and love and hatred of them.

A lot of people seem not to like the fact that Death is the narrator of this story, that he tells you things before they happen, that he has a personality and emotions and conflicts within himself. But I love the idea of a Death like this one. I found I cared almost as much about Death as I did about any of the other characters. And to those who were annoyed by characters' deaths being "ruined" by Death ahead of time--do you not ever feel as though your own death haunts your life? I do. Death's way of telling this story made perfect sense to me.

It's kind of a hard book to write about, but I think it was one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I got it from the library, but it's one that I feel I will have to buy, and that I will read over and over again.

Update: I now own three copies of this, in three different editions. It's apparently one of THOSE books for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

04/07/2009 page 65