Sdaes's Reviews > The Well of Ascension

Aug 05, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I have to give the whole book 2 stars, because it was "just ok". The ending was of course very good and original, but you have to work yourself through 400 painful pages. My main problems:

- STORY: Brandon said he wanted the book stand on its own. In my opinion, he failed completely in that regard. The biggest part of the book deals with the consequences of the first novel. The last 50 pages are exposition for the last novel.

- STRUCTURE AND PACE: The Pace of the first 350 pages is horrible. The story could be compressed to maybe 50 pages and deals with the siege of Luthadel and Elend's struggle as King and boring politics. It starts to get interesting at the first climax at around page 450 (Vin kills Zane)! Then the typical "Brandon Avalance" hits and its all resolved and very rushed. Only the last 50 pages deal with the Well of Ascension and are nothing more than a teaser for book 3... but to be fair, they are very good.

- CARACTERS: Okay Kelsier was my favourite character in book 1 and after TWoA I know why: He tied together the whole crew. In this book the crew is absolutely shallow and unimportant. Some of them were so obsolete that Brandon noticed this and killed them off (Clubs, Dockson). Main Characters are of course Vin, Elend and Sazed. The Terrisman is great and the best character in the book. His inner struggles are great, his relationship with Tindwyl is subtle, yet intersting. But to be honest I found the love-relationship of Elend/Vin very boring and especially Elend is very uninteresting. Also no surprise that he has to become an Allomancer, even Mistborn, because there would be nothing to write about him in book three. I just hope we won't see a "Vin trains Elend"-theme in the final novel. So every main character is now a superhero (except maybe Spook) because the author ran out of ideas.

I really can't understand why many people rate this book so high. Maybe it's the fantastic finale and the end leaves them with a false impression of joy. But the Well-ending doesn't even belong to the mains story of the book and I believe that you shouldn't have to work through 450 pages to come to the interesting parts.
Read "The Final Empire", then the summary of book two and then "The Hero of Ages".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Ascension.

06/02/2009 page 50