Charissa's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Nov 15, 09

bookshelves: never-finished
Read in November, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

03/22/2009 page 27
04/13/2009 page 168
47.19% "Struggling with maintaining interest in this story at this point. On an intellectual level I think I should be... but it's not grabbing me."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

trivialchemy Char, you must must must get through the first half of the book. Is he still on and on about the zoos and religions and such? It can drag, I know, but it's worth it, I promise! And it'll end up being necessary to understand how Pi responds to the catastrophic events of the shipwreck.

Charissa He's in the boat with the tiger at this point. I don't know why the story isn't grabbing me. But if you say it'll be worth it maybe I'll try and go back to it. I'm in the middle of Richard's book, "Six Fang Marks and a Tetnus Shot". It's pretty good as well.

trivialchemy Oh my.

If he's in the boat with the tiger and you're not hooked, I'm not sure I can help you.

I'm afraid you may be beyond all hope.

Charissa ma nishtana

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

i really enjoyed the second half of this book and the ending in particular. but it doesn't work without all that stuff in the first half.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I did love this book...I know I commented earlier, but stick with it..I will give you a quarter if my advice doesn't work out for you.

Charissa really? a quarter?? I could almost make a phone call with that!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

almost a phone call...or a half a pack of gum...i know it is not much, but just trying to keep you motivated and smiling.

Charissa Will they sell packs of gum in halves? Or would I have to get one in an installment plan?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I am not sure if you can buy half a pack of gum or not, but what the hey, if you hate this book after my encouragement, I think I could spring for the whole pack.

Charissa it's a deal. now i want to know how much the author is paying you to pimp his book, and how much is my cut? : )

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I ain't nobody's pimp. I actually work for Wrigley's getting gum into the hands of pretty readers nationwide.

message 13: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth I liked the first half. The second half degenerated into such a sticky morass of gold-plated "significance" it soured me on the book forever.

Charissa I'm gonna hafta chew on that a while.

ba da bump

message 15: by Félix (new) - added it

Félix I had the same problem with this one.

Charissa I still haven't finished it. I just can't bring myself to care.

message 17: by Félix (new) - added it