Hannah's Reviews > Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child

Aug 23, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: raising_babies_and_children
Read in February, 2007

This book was recommended to me by a good friend who had literally poured over every book she could find on the topic of sleep. She sees it as the sleep bible.

Unfortunately, I had a hard time with the book for several reasons.

1) It's very dense with a small typeface - note easy to read when you're exhausted and looking for a solution.
2) It's totally unclear where in the book there's actual practical information on how to help your child sleep.
3) The author is strongly opinionated and has kind of a damning tone.

As a new parent, it's hard to filter out other people's judgemental attitudes, especially "experts," so I prefer information that's delivered in a softer tone. At one point, Weissbluth actually states something to the effect that children who get poor sleep are more likely to be bratty and those brats are more likely to become fat. I'm going to hunt down the actual quote, but that's the jist of it.

I get that he's emphatic and I agree that healthy sleep habits are incredibly important, but there's a difference between beating a drum and beating a person over the head with it.

All the same, the book is chock full of research and data that can help you develop a more informed approach toward your child's sleep, and Weissbluth does present some great concepts.

A friend of mine actually figured out what the "program" or "plan" was (she winnowed it out from the rest of the book somehow). She swears by it, which I probably would too had I been able to get that far! When I get the pared down version from her, I'll post the important page numbers here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.

01/30/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I completely agree. I'm still trying to get all the way through this book because I've been assured by many people that valuable information is inside. The tone of this book detracts from its readability. But, I still hope someday to read this book cover to cover.

Gretchen I totally agree. It is too hard to read. It doesn't get to the point fast enough. And it isn't relatable. I bought it b/c of all the recommendations. I wish I hadn't.

Sarah my doctor basically told me I had to read this book, and I did. Before I.gave up at 66% through. I was bored, frustrated, and stopped being enthralled with what he was explaining. I took what I needed and left.

Emily I just started reading it, I'm not a new parent (I have 3 kids and have been a mom for over a decade) but my kids all have different problems sleeping. I'm going to agree with you, the only thing I've gotten out of it so far is what a crappy mom he'd say I am and that it's my fault my kids will be pill popping insomniacs. Not encouraging.

Antoinette Like many others, I had difficulty reading this and stopped halfway through, without looking back. I gleaned what I thought was pertinent, and left everything else. I know each child is different, so not all methods will work. We approached naptime a and bedtimes very differently with both our children, based on their personalities and the family dynamics. Being that I'm a person that needs clear examples or a step-by-step guideline for specific situations, it was tough finding what I needed.

I wish there was a way to remove this from my "currently" reading section, without deleting it from my library or saying I finished it, when I didn't.

Ashley Did you find those pages with the actual plan? So many people rave about this book and I have yet to make it past chapter 3 (and my daughter is almost 5 months). Sadly, I am a reading specialist for a living!

message 7: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Totally agree...seems like great info but so hard to get to the point. I need the clif notes edition !

message 8: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Really glad I came across your review because these are the kinds of books I try to avoid, though they're so common... it's pretty difficult to do.

Were you ever able to dig up that quote?