Christy's Reviews > Andean Lives: Gregorio Condori Mamani and Asunta Quispe Huaman

Andean Lives by Ricardo Valderrama Fernandez

Apr 25, 09

Read in April, 2009

This was my first introduction to the people in the highlands of Peru. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to love this book. Or like it a lot. But I just didn't, and I hate myself for it. I know that this is not supposed to be a book about character development, it's not a book where I should expect to be reeled in to the story, but nevertheless I was bored. I felt like there were so many interesting things that these two people talked about that I would have LOVED to hear more about. My husband, a Peruvian, says that these people are not about self, but rather, about community and that the details just probably don't seem important to them. For me, it's the details that would have made the book. Anyway, it's not too long and it's still worth reading because it does give you a feel for how these people are living. I'm starting to read another book about raising children in the Andes and this one seems to be more up my alley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Andean Lives.