All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > What's a Witch to Do?

What's a Witch to Do? by Jennifer Harlow

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

WHAT’S A WITCH TO DO? is a fun paranormal mystery with a lot of humor and a steamy romance. The mystery of who wants Mona dead was well plotted and I had fun analyzing everyone’s motives along with Mona. I liked the small town of Goodnight where everyone knows everyone else’s business which presented a lot of amusing gossip for Mona to wade through to find her would be killer.

Mona was an interesting character who has to take care of her two young nieces, a coven to run, and a never ending to-do list. It was interesting seeing a character with small children to care for as it really affected her decision making and helped make Mona feel very relatable. While I enjoy a heroine I can relate to who has self-doubts, Mona’s constant jabs at herself and self-image issues started to grate and I began to wish for a more self-confident character. Is it too much to ask for a normal heroine who isn’t super thin and strong without having to endure continuing references to her weight and her ‘less than average’ appearance by Mona and other characters? This was the one really annoying aspect of WHAT’S A WITCH TO DO?, and unfortunately, the references at times dominated the story.

Another thing that bothered me was Mona’s To-Do list which is featured at the beginning of each chapter. It was cute to see that list with some things crossed out but it just highlighted for me the fact that Mona refuses to ask for help and no one around her even offers to help though everyone knows she has a full plate. I was miffed at the lack of support Mona seemed to have and was glad when Adam came along to ease some of her stress.

Continuing with the almost too real characterization, the relationship between Mona and Adam grows very organically as they start out as friends helping each other out and slowly build to a steamy romance over the course of the story. I like that there was some attraction that turned into something more with no magical instant connection I’ve seen so frequently in romances with werewolves. I also liked that Adam was a beta wolf who is not driven by any aggressive alpha wolf instincts. He comes off as kind, helpful, and a great partner to stabilize Mona’s hectic life.

WHAT’S A WITCH TO DO? is a fun, light mystery taking place is a small town with a plethora of eccentric characters. While I was annoyed at Mona’s characterization I enjoyed the overall story and look forward to any future books to come in this series.

Sexual Content: some mild sex scenes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's a Witch to Do?.