Estara's Reviews > The Trouble with Valentine's

The Trouble with Valentine's by Kelly Hunter

Jan 20, 13

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2013
Recommended to Estara by: Li
Recommended for: fans of contemporary romance with Asian influence, who can forgive one truly horrible goof-up
Read from January 19 to 20, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Li really enjoyed the shorter category this was based on, and was a bit distracted figuring out what was added here, but for me this was the first read (although I've read other books by Kelly Hunter and quite like her in general).

This book has the great strengths again - the snappy dialogue and just basically nice people usually found in a Kelly Hunter book - the suspense plot that was there came into being because of the heroine's lack of knowledge of Hong Kong customs, so I forgave her even though I totally called what the problem would be. (view spoiler)

This did let me down, but the lively pace (this book is only 50 pages longer than a 150 page category on my Reader at least) and my fascination with the secondary couple, whose roles were extended if I understood Li's impressions correctly, made for a fun read over all. I just liked all the named characters. (view spoiler)

Enjoyment was actually four stars but I have to deduct one for dropping the ball and making Hallie and Nick come across as callous and indifferent in the case of the bit I put behind the spoiler, because now I feel guilty for having liked the rest so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trouble with Valentine's.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Kimbriel Wow -- the spoilers really sound out of character for humorous contemporary romance? Or am I not reading enough of them to assume that?

message 2: by Estara (last edited Jan 21, 2013 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Estara It really is out of character, I think so too. She often uses Singapore or Hong Kong as a setting, and she has had background suspense in the books I read, but she is usually much better at not having all out action or dropping a ball like that. I think the editor should have pointed her at that, it doesn't suit the rest of the book and her usual style at all.

ETA: Here are two reviews of books by her I enjoyed without feeling bad:

message 3: by Li (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li Umm... well, I agree with all you say! It did seem a bit callous and not in keeping with the mood of the rest of the story.

Yes, the Kai/Jasmine storyline was expanded significantly over the original version - good to know it worked for you.

message 4: by Estara (last edited Jan 21, 2013 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Estara I thought the two didn't take anything away from the main romance and had a lovely secondary romance. I wouldn't mind if she wrote the story of how they finally get together at the end of the three years as a full novel, too ^^

message 5: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Kimbriel These others look cutely fluffy. I'll keep them in mind once I have a job and am buying books again. (After I get Andrea's trilogy!)

Estara Katharine wrote: "These others look cutely fluffy. I'll keep them in mind once I have a job and am buying books again. (After I get Andrea's trilogy!)"

I think KH sticks out of the category contemporary romance crowd, much like Marion Lennox. Maybe it's the Australian/NZ factor ^^.

If you enter Andrea's current rafflecopter giveaway you could wish for the full trilogy - if you won ^^

message 7: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Kimbriel I entered, but forgot that you could get the trilogy in one swoop, so asked for the first book.

Estara Aww.