Patty's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

1020899
It took me one night to read this book. I have been floundering lately with what I have been reading but this book was marvelous. I can now understand why so many people love this book.

Juliet Ashton has made a name for herself as a writer during World War II. Many people found her newspaper columns funny and inspiring. Now the war is over and she is trying to figure out what to write next.

She receives a letter from a member of a strange book club that meets on the island of Guernsey. Thus begins a most wonderful friendship. This story is told by letters to and from Juliet, her friends in England and Scotland and her new friends on Guernsey. I learned a lot about the war in Britain, but more importantly the story feels true. Like much of the best fiction, the characters became part of my life.

Because one of my book groups is going to discuss this in June; I just listened to the audio version. This would be a great book for someone who wants to try listening to a book. There are several narrators and they give wonderful readings. Now I have a voice to go with my picture of Juliet and Dalsey.
1 like · likeflag

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Great review, Patty -- it makes me look forward to the book that much more!

Patty Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.