Eva Silverstone's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Jan 08, 13

bookshelves: adult, spokane-is-reading
Read from January 05 to 07, 2013

Here's the "book report" I sent to my Spokane is Reading committee colleagues:
I had to travel this weekend so I read all of Where’d You Go, Bernadette on the airplanes. It was like a spa weekend getting that much uninterrupted reading time. I thought the book was great. I laughed out loud. It is “lighter” than most books we choose for SIR but, so what, right; everyone likes a lighter read every now and then. I thought the writing was good (I even looked up a couple of words). As with most books I love, I just wanted more but I was also satisfied with this. I think I just wanted more because I really liked the characters and wanted to spend more time with them. I think this book has a lot of Nancy Pearl’s appeal characteristics:

Character – completely!
Setting – Seattle + (definitely)
Plot – tons of it
Language – enough so that the reader is easily buoyed through the story. The heavy emphasis on plot and character makes the spotlight on language less as important. Language IS explored in this book in that it’s written from many voices and so reading the different voices gives you a feel for the different ways that people communicate and I enjoyed that.

pros:
super-fast read
fun
local-ish author
makes fun of Seattle
familiarity with setting for readers
author has some prestigious TV writing credits

cons:
lighter than some books we choose
paperback not out until April
more of a “woman’s” book (though Bradd picked it up briefly last night and was paging through)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.