Emily's Reviews > View from a Sketchbook: Nature Through the Eyes of Marjolein Bastin

View from a Sketchbook by Marjolein Bastin

2014643
Mar 21, 2009

Read in March, 2009

I read this book in bits and pieces over a year or so. It's a mixture of watercolors by Marjolein Bastin, snippets from her journals 2002-2003, and narration by Tovah Martin about MB's connections to nature and inspirations for painting.
Tovah Martin was garden editor for the former Victoria Magazine. She also wrote a coffee table book in 1994 called Tasha Tudor's Garden.
Marjolein Bastin I first encountered in Hallmark stationery and greeting cards. Her line is called "Nature's Sketchbook." View from a Sketchbook explains MB's way of seeing nature, and explains that her goal in painting and drawing is to show the audience the same 'ordinary' nature that we pass every day--cardinals, robins, Canadian geese, grass, Queen Anne's lace, berries, bumblebees--but to show it to us in a way that says "Stop and look," pointing out the beauty we often miss in simple things.
MB has a home in Missouri, where she walks on the prairie each day, but also a home in the woods in her native Holland, and even spends a few weeks each year in the Cayman Islands. Most of her painting and drawing depicts nature in the temperate zones rather than the tropical.
The back dust jacket says that MB is "one of Hallmark's 3 premier artists." How can I find out the names of the other 2?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read View from a Sketchbook.