Sylvia's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Jan 13, 2008

bookshelves: youwillshiverandweepandfallinlove
Read in October, 2008

ackkk!! i think this was one of the best books i've read in a VERY LONG time. i wept. i laughed. i cringed and i was often very scared. the format (Death as narrator) is odd to be sure, but i think sometimes, with very traumatic works (think "the lovely bones"), it's better to know in advance when something awful will happen. and Death does this in "the book thief," giving the reader a heads up, so our hearts don't explode with shock over (yet another) wonderful main character dying.

there was so much i loved here, so i won't go on an on. i will add this last thing: the book inside the book (if you've read it you know what i mean) by Max, was my favorite thing pretty much. made me cry and cry [sigh], out of happiness and sadness both. these small cures for the "human condition" come too rarely, and "the book thief" (with it's blend of humor/pathos) is one of them. :) read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Alison this book is a book i will never get rid of and will probably read again and again. you will LOVE this book. it reads from the perspective of death, which is a little hard to get used to in the beginning, but after the first 20 pages i could NOT put it down.

Sylvia someone else told me they loved this book, so i'm glad you reminded me. i just spent a small fortune on books at target, of all places, and hate it that the little local library here has NADA. :)

Alison order them used from amazon, that's what i do all the time. even with the small shipping charge it's still cheaper than buying them at target. doesn't clemson have a 1/2 price books?

Margaret Oneal I read this a couple of months ago and it started my obsession with Marcus Zusak. I rarely google writers after finishing a book, but it was such a glorious, well-written, poetic book that I googled him... and was amazed to find out that he's categorized as a teen author. ha! It hurt my feelings at first, but then I read "I Am The Messenger" and got over it.