Visha Burkart's Reviews > I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

I Like You by Amy Sedaris

Mar 21, 09

Read in March, 2009

Looking for something to enjoy and pass on - maybe to a fun hostess or someone heading to their first apartment? It's a cookbook with lots of text, large pictures (demonstrating the goofiness of Sedaris and various dishes), and the juxtaposition of both recipes & life wit. There's plenty from the Southern front and the Greek side, showcasing Amy's childhood spent in NC and her family's Greek heritage, as well as contributions from other friends (i.e. Stephen Colbert) and family (Rooster and David).
The mac & cheese is great, but I haven't tried a lot of the other recipes - it almost seems a shame that the book's so tall that it's unwieldy to wrangle it and a pan in the kitchen. But I like looking through it on my coffeetable, and mentally listing all the folks I would gift it to when I'm fully done with it.

Overall, there are better recipe books, but Sedaris covers a lot of bases - from kitchen basics to etiquette (being a guest, being a host, etc). She even has a section on cooking for one, which is a great addition to any cookbook, in my opinion, although the majority of her recipes will feed a crowd.

If you're planning on gifting - there's some language, some drug references and photos, some sex talk; kind of a pg-13 film in cookbook/entertaining book form. But a fun reading adventure, and lots of charming Sedaris-esque photos.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Like You.