Martha's Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Jan 07, 13

bookshelves: good-characters, romance, ya
Read in January, 2013

I really enjoyed reading this, and finished it in two days. I loved the characters, and the dialog was great fun. Once Eleanor and Park's romance really got under way, however, it lost some of its enjoyable originality and, to me, got just a tiny bit tedious with the constant wonderment and recounting of the loved one's charms. Maybe I'm just too old...and have read too many other teen romances. I also thought Eleanor's abusive home life verged on cliche...(I may have read too many of THOSE books, too). You didn't really get a good idea of the characters of any of her family, or any insight into the motivations or background of her mother, her father, or the villainous Richie. And I really can't believe her mother wouldn't have bought toothbrushes for her children--she managed to buy other staples. I also thought the ending a little hard to swallow. Would a teenage girl in love really not even OPEN the letters from her beloved? Nevertheless, still would recommend this book, and read anything else that Rainbow Rowell writes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.