John's Reviews > A Colder War

A Colder War by Charles Stross

Mar 30, 09

bookshelves: 2009, sf-fantasy, scottish

This was a wonderfully dark novella marrying two themes that, in a way, were meant for eachother: Ronald Regan and the Eldritch Dark. In my opinion, this, along with Gene Wolfe's "Lord of the Land" (from Starwater Strains) is one of the best modern Cthulu stories.

###

This seems like the perfect companion piece to Declare.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Colder War.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Adam I love, love this story. Find Missile Gap by Stross for a similiarly creepy concept.

John Thanks for the note and the recommendation, Adam. I'll flag Missile Gap. This was a great story. I think I am starting to love Stross. I'm currently making slow work of Accelerando (what with all the wikipedia breaks I need to take to look up each of the crazy concepts jam packed into each paragraph), but I'm eager to dig into the rest of his work.

Adam Accelerando is slow work, though I thought worth it.If your a Stross neophyte here is short list of my favorites.
Singularity Sky
Iron Sunrise
Glasshouse(probably my favorite with Accelerando)
Stories: Rogue Farm, Missile Gap, Trunk and Disorderly, Antibodies,The Boys, and Exerpts from the Club Diary
W/Cory Doctorow the novellas Jury Service and Appeals Court which are surrealist romps of nonstop invention.
His early unpublished(available online) novel Scratch Monkey is great, especially if you like Accelerando and A Colder War, very nightmarish.
I don't like his Laundry series very much(which is sad since it seems right up my alley) and his fantasy is not to my taste.
-Adam