Kate's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 8: Worlds' End

The Sandman, Vol. 8 by Neil Gaiman

Apr 08, 09

bookshelves: 2009, age-adult, graphic-novels
Read in April, 2009

This was an interesting story/stories. There are lots of stories in this volume, even though it was probably one of the shorter ones. I started reading the intro by Stephen King, but stopped before I read about the stories I hadn't read yet, but I did finish reading it afterwards. His intro was far less dry than some of the other volumes' intros.

It was interesting to see some of the characters from other volumes make their way to the inn at World's End, either as themselves or as characters in their own stories. I also enjoyed how the artwork changed a bit to suit each story. The "Boss Smiley" character kind of freaked me out. I'm sure I've seen him before... there was some mention of the story involving old comic book characters, so it's possible that this is a new incarnation of something else, but as I don't read many comics... I'm not sure if this is where I've come across him. His face freaks me out. Maybe it's a Jungian thing.

The outermost story, about the guy and girl who get into a car crash and find themselves at the inn, reminded me a lot of a Stephen King story that started almost the same way (only in SK's story, the characters find themselves in Rock 'n' Roll heaven and are forced to listen to a dead rock stars concert for interminable periods of time every night and their sense of time disappears). But beyond the random car crash and finding themselves in a random place that doesn't actually exist, the similarities stop.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 8.