Amberly's Reviews > Oracle Night

Oracle Night by Paul Auster

Mar 20, 09

liked it

This is a book for/about writers.
At times, Auster's narrative voice is a bit muted and sparse for me, someone who likes Tom Robbins, but I did enjoy the way it skirts around magical occurrences without delving into the realm of the unbelievable. At times the plot devices are inventive, and illustrative of larger themes, other times it felt like Auster painted a character into a corner, and then just gave up.
I enjoyed the theme of altering (or trying to) the trajectory of your life based on a random meeting, fleeting feeling or near-death experience, and also the theme of the power of words - I wish the anecdotal story about the French writer who completes a tome about a child's drowning, then goes on vacation, only to have his daughter drown, and who consequently refuses to write anymore - were true.
I love that at one point we are reading about the narrator writing a story, and the story within that his character is reading - Oracle Night - incidentally, about a blind soldier who can see the future and is cursed, and how this all ties together.
Sometimes we are just a conduit for prediction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oracle Night.