Jenni's Reviews > Follow the River

Follow the River by James Alexander Thom

Mar 28, 09

Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This was an amazing book of survival and courage and incredible strength against insurmountable odds. In contrast to the last "Indian" book I read this one actually happened. This is the true story of Mary Ingles-no relation to Laura Ingles who was kidnapped by Indians during the French and Indian war. She escapes with an old Dutch woman and they WALK 1000 miles along the Ohio river to get back home. I would have up and died probably at the beginning of the book. She should have died 100 times over but she didn't! There were some really brutal and graphic parts-Spoiler Alert**-don't read on unless you want details. This is why I only gave it 4 stars because of the violence.

Right close to the beginning when the Indian attack occurs there is a lot of violence and it graphically describes the murders of some of the white settlers including a terrible death for a baby. The rest of the book is graphic in some parts describing "the gauntlet"-I won't go into detail here just know it is harsh! There is also scalpings, burning at the stake and the details of her ordeal-the way her body deteriorates and especially her feet is just horrible. You know from the beginning that she makes it back but man oh man it was an ordeal!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Follow the River.