Shawna's Reviews > Secrets of a Summer Night

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Jan 25, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance, author-lisa-kleypas, historical-romance-victorian, i-read-own-faves-keepers, 2010-reads, hero-alpha‎, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, heroine-i-adore, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, hero-commoner-self-made, favorite-romance-series, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, favorites, series-wallflowers, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, hero-i-wanna-marry, best-top-favorites, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, best-fave-reads-of-2010, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, 5-stars-plus, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-rags-to-riches, hero-too-yummy-perfect-to-be-true, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-desperately-seeking-husband, a-all-time-favorite-hero, hero-entrepreneur-mogul-tycoon-ceo, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, best-friendships
Recommended to Shawna by: Eastofoz
Recommended for: LK fans & historical romance readers
Read from January 17 to 18, 2010

5+ stars – Historical Romance

This is a great start to a fun, dazzlingly romantic series about four young ladies with very different personalities and backgrounds entering society who form a deep bond of friendship that grounds them as they traverse the rocky course of relationships and husband hunting in stuffy Victorian era England.

Beautiful Annabelle Peyton is determined to find a wealthy suitor with a high position in society to wed in order to save her family from financial ruin. Simon Hunt is a commoner with a self-made empire of vast wealth and power who infuriates and tempts her at every turn. He makes it clear that although he wants to be the one to introduce Annabelle to the wonders of passion, he won’t offer her marriage. Of course, it doesn’t take long before he falls hard for Annabelle, but can Simon and her friends, the wallflowers, convince her to take a chance on a love match?

Simon is such a butter-melting, swoon-worthy, amazing, romantic, and devoted hero...just yum! It’s a wonderful start to a truly amazing series! Big 5 stars!
30 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Summer Night.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“Annabelle’s eyes stung as she stared at him, while need and inexhaustible tenderness gathered like an ache in her body. “I realized something,” she said huskily, “when I was standing outside the foundry, watching it burn and knowing you were inside.” She swallowed hard against the thickness in her throat. “I would rather have died in your arms, Simon, than face a lifetime without you. All those endless years… all those winters, summers… a hundred seasons of wanting you and never having you. Growing old, while you stayed eternally young in my memories.” She bit her lip and shook her head, while her eyes flooded. “I was wrong when I told you that I didn’t know where I belonged. I do. With you, Simon. Nothing matters except being with you. You’re stuck with me forever, and I’ll never listen when you tell me to go.” She managed a tremulous smile. “So you may as well stop complaining and resign yourself to it.”
Lisa Kleypas, Secrets of a Summer Night

Lisa Kleypas
“Annabelle gave him a chiding smile. “If you’re implying that I’m spoiled, I assure you that I am not.”
“You should be.” His warm gaze slid over her pink-tinted face and slender upper body, then sought hers again. There was a note in his voice that gently robbed her of breath. “You could do with a bit of spoiling.”
Lisa Kleypas, Secrets of a Summer Night

03/24 marked as: read

Eastofoz Ooooo you're going to read the Wallflowers! A fanatastic series :D

Shawna I've heard so much about Kleypas' Wallfower series for so long. I'm anxious to read them.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading this one now also

valee So good. LK just trapped me. LOL. I love her. Enjoy

Shawna Me too! I'm hooked! :)

valee Just wait to read the next. This series is amazing.

Auntee Great review, Shawna--catching up on your Kleypas, I see. I need to do that too.:)

Beanbag Love Great review, Shawna! SoaSN is definitely a keeper.

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Great review, Shawna--catching up on your Kleypas, I see. I need to do that too.:)"

Thanks! You'll love the Wallflowers series, Auntee!

Shawna Beanbag wrote: "Great review, Shawna! SoaSN is definitely a keeper. "

Thanks, Bean! Yep, every book in this series is a top favorite/keeper! :)

Rhonda Shawna, I picked this up yesterday, reading your quotes has me really wanting to dig into this series!!!

Shawna The Wallflowers series is WONDERFUL, Rhonda! I hope you enjoy 'em!

Ronyell Awesome review Shawna!! I agree that Simon Hunt is one sexy hero!!

Shawna Thanks, Ronyell!