Shawna's Reviews > Seduce Me at Sunrise

Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas

Jan 08, 2015

bookshelves: historical-romance, author-lisa-kleypas, historical-romance-victorian, series-hathaways, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-or-heroine-exotic, 2010-reads, best-top-favorites, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorite-romance-series, favorites, friends-to-lovers, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-commoner-self-made, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-i-wanna-smack, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-i-adore, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, i-read-own-faves-keepers, made-me-cry, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, tattoos-piercings-body-art, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, satisfying-secondary-romance, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, animals-matter, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, best-fave-reads-of-2010, aar-top-100-romances, 5-stars-plus, childhood-ties-friends-sweethearts, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, hh-across-the-tracks, star-crossed-lovers, hero-brooding, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, favorite-dresses-to-die-for, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, hero-black-sheep, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-starchy-loosen-up-buttons-babe, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik, hh-interracial-romance, loved-you-from-afar-or-for-years, a-all-time-best-favorites-treasures, a-all-time-best-top-10-20-fave-dik, a-will-stay-with-me-forever-gem
Recommended for: Fans of LK, cold/tortured heroes, & anyone who appreciates a beautiful, emotional historical romance
Read from June 16 to 19, 2010

5++ stars – Historical Romance

Forever together and yet always apart.....

WOW, just WOW! I absolutely loved this! Seduce Me At Sunrise is a beautiful, evocative, sensual, moving, and lush romance of forbidden love, powerful yearning, and long-denied desire between two star-crossed souls. Although dark, cold, hardened, mysterious gypsy Kev Merripen and sweet, fair, innocent, well-bred Winnifred Hathaway might appear to be opposites, they've shared an intrinsic bond and deep love for each other since childhood. And yet the soul mates seemed destined to be kept forever apart by various twists of fate, including family tragedy, Win's illness, differences in social status, a curse, a persistent, respectable rival suitor after Win's hand, scandal, but mainly because of Kev's stubborn, anguished refusal to allow himself to be with the one and only woman his heart beats for.

It's a powerful, touching, and achingly poignant romance of two lovers yearning for each other who must confront and heal the past, face their fears, and fight destiny to finally be together, forever.

These are my favorite Kev Merripen quotes:

"All the fires of hell could burn for a thousand years and it wouldn't equal what I feel for you in one minute of the day. I love you so much there is no pleasure in it. Nothing but torment. Because if I could dilute what I feel for you to the millionth part, it would still be enough to kill you. And even if it drives me mad, I would rather see you live in the arms of that cold, soulless bastard than die in mine."

And it seemed so easy, once he capitulated. It seemed natural and right. Kev wasn't certain if he was surrendering to Win or to his own passion for her. Only that there was no more holding back. He would take her. And he would give her everything he had, every part of his soul, even the broken pieces.

42 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduce Me at Sunrise.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“I love you, he thought, looking at Win. I love every part of you, every thought and word...the entire complex, fascinating bundle of all the things you are. I want you with ten different kinds of need at once. I love all the seasons of you, the way you are now, the thought of how much more beautiful you'll be in the decades to come. I love you for being the answer to every question my heart could ask.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Kev wasn't certain if he was surrendering to Win or to his own passion for her. Only that there was no more holding back. He would take her. And he would give her everything he had, every part of his soul, even the broken pieces.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I've always started every day by going to the window for a glimpse of the sky. But now I won't have to."
"Why not?" She asked softly.
"Because I'll see the blue of your eyes instead."
"How romantic you are," she murmured with a grin, kissing him gently. "But don't worry. I won't tell anyone.”

Lisa Kleypas
“...You're not suited for this Merripen. You can't hold your liquor worth a damn. And unlike people such as me, who become quite amicable when they drink, you turn into a vile-tempered troll." Leo paused considering how best to provoke him. "Liquor brings out one's true inner nature, they say.”

Lisa Kleypas
“For God's sake, Marks, do you think anyone really wants a glance at those dried-up matchsticks you call legs?”

Lisa Kleypas
“Win," Leo said, "you'll burn the house down, just after it's been rebuilt. Give me the bloody matchbox."

She shook her head resolutely.

Are we starting a new springtime ritual?" Leo demanded. "The annual burning-of-the-manse?" Come to your senses, Win.”

Lisa Kleypas
“All the fires of hell could burn for a thousand years and it wouldn't equal what I feel for you in one minute of the day. I love you so much there is no pleasure in it. Nothing but torment. Because if I could dilute what I feel for you to the mil­lionth part, it would still be enough to kill you. And even if it drives me mad, I would rather see you live in the arms of that cold, soulless bastard than die in mine," Merripen said to Win.”

Lisa Kleypas
“To Cam surprise, she was smiling up at him steadily, her eyes midnight.
His expression turned quizzical. "What's so amus­ing?"
Amelia toyed with a button on his coat. "I was just thinking . . . tonight those two old hens will probably go to their beds, cold and alone." An impish grin curved her lips. "Whereas I will be with a wicked, handsome Rom who will keep me warm all night.”

Lisa Kleypas
“The worst part about loving someone, Merripen, is that there will al­ways be things you can't protect her from. Things be­yond your control. You finally realize there is something worse than dying . . . and that is having something hap­pen to her. You have to live with that fear always. But you have to take the bad part, if you want the good part."
Kev looked at him bleakly. "What's the good part?"
A smile touched Cam's lips. "All the rest of it is the good part," he said, and went.”

Lisa Kleypas
“A weak but steady throb lay beneath Kev's searching fingertips. Win's heartbeat...the pulse that sustained his universe.”

Lisa Kleypas

And it seemed so easy, once he capitulated. It seemed natural and right.

Lisa Kleypas
“I'm not good enough for you. But no one is. And most men, good or bad, have limits to what they would do, even for someone they love. I have none. No God, no moral code, no faith in anything. Except you. You're my religion. I would do anything you asked. I would fight, steal, kill for you."

-Kev to Win”

Lisa Kleypas
“I am running after you, and life, in desperate pursuit. My dream is that someday you will both turn and let me catch you. That dream carries me through every night... I have enclosed a hundred kisses in this letter. You must count them out carefully and not lose any.”

Lisa Kleypas
“But no one can predict of a certainty what will happen. And none of it will change how I intend to spend the rest of my life. I will live it on my terms. And you... you can have all of me or nothing. I won't be an invalid any longer. Not even if it means losing you.”

Lisa Kleypas
“He loved her beyond earth, heaven, or hell. Every moment out of her company was agony; every moment with her was the only peace he had ever known. Every touch of her hands left an imprint that ate down to his soul. He would have killed himself before admitting it to anyone. The truth was buried deep in his heart.”

06/16 page 33
9.0% "YAY...more Cam! :)"
06/17 page 54
15.0% "Oh Kev!" 4 comments
06/18 page 172
48.0% "Okay, Kev really needs to quite being an a**!" 2 comments
06/19 page 360
100.0% "Ahhh...such a satisfying, sweet ending."
02/04 marked as: read

message 1: by Rossy (new)

Rossy Fantastic review, Shawna!

Rane Awesome Review Shawna!

Jasmin i ♥d your review. Thanks for sharing the quotes. Its actually making me teary eyed :(

message 4: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. AARG -- I need to quit reading this lackluster Susan Andersen book I'm reading and grab this off my TBR!! What an inspiring review Shawna! Why have I taken so long to read this book anyway?!! LOL! Thanks!
K.

Dina Lovely review, Shawna. I didn't love this book as much as you did, but Merripen does have wonderful lines. Loved the quotes!

Shawna Thanks, ladies! I'm glad ya'll enjoyed the quotes! Kev might be a stubborn brute of few words, but when he does express himself?...Yowza! *sniffle*

K, Dust it off that TBR! LOL! :)

message 7: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Fab review Shawna!

Shawna Thanks, Scully!

Auntee Wow Shawna, sounds great. Yet another one I have to dig out. I need to make time for these Hathaways...gotta catch up on Kleypas soon!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Great review, Shawna. I couldn't resist this one either...but I don't have much resistance towards these kinds of stories. :)

Shawna -Thanks, Auntee! I bet you'll love Cam in Mine Till Midnight...he's one of my all-time fave LK heroes, but I liked this "story" even better. I'd recommend reading the Wallflowers series first since the Hathaways is a spin-off series and features characters/couples from it, but you know I'm OCD about reading books in order. And they're all just so darn wonderful! :)

-Thanks, Danielle! Resistance is indeed futile, for me too, when it comes to Kleypas. :)

Auntee Hopefully the Wallflowers are as good as this sounds...
*Sigh*...that's a ton of books to get through!

Robin *loves sexy books* I really had no interest in the historical romances til I started seeing them on your profile. Those quotes alone are enough to hook me in. These are definitley on my next purchase from amazon. Gotta get thru the stack I already have tho. : (

message 14: by Nina (last edited Jun 21, 2010 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Great review Shawna! I frequently grab this book and read only Kev & Win's parts, especially the part where Win wouldn't agree to take the herbal medicine Kev wants her to drink (those who read the book would know why I like here) and the scene of their reunion when she is all well and back - sizzling! And everytime I find myself getting all teary eyed over their heart-wrenching situations. It's written in such a moving way that I can't praise Lisa Kleypas enough for her brilliance!

Shawna Auntee, Knowing how much you liked other/older Kleypas books and Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean, I really think you'll enjoy the Wallflowers and Hathaways, too. It seems like some LK fans prefer one series or the either, but I love them both. It may seem like a lot of books to get through, but trust me, once you start 'em, you'll be hooked!

Robin, I'm glad you enjoyed the quotes. I know once I started reading and enjoying more historical romances, in addition to my other favorite romance genres, it seemed like my TBR Mountzilla was going to erupt. But Kleypas is worth it! :)

Thanks, Nihan! I loved Kev's & Win's romance and Kleypas just continually amazes and moves me.

message 16: by Shel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel O.K., after the quotes, it's time for a re-read!!!

message 17: by Ragus (last edited Jun 27, 2010 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ragus WOW, Shawna, another superb review! I haven't read LK since I jumped the historical romance ship for paranormal over three years ago. After reading Addicted and Sinful (BTW both are FABULOUS!!), I'm loving HR again. I agree with Robin on the quotes. Those grabbed me, and a hero that has love that deep and strong I've got to meet!! :D

Shawna Thanks, Ragus! I think you'll enjoy the Hathaways series! :)

Ronyell Awesome review Shawna!! Love the quotes!!

Shawna Thanks, Ronyell! This is one of my absolute, all-time favorite historical romances and LK reads!

Theresa Contreras wow im about to start to read this one and that quote has tears in my eyes right now! wow!!! cant wait..

Shawna This is such an amazing romance! The whole series is wonderful. I miss the Hathaways.

Theresa Contreras i just finished this one, and oh my god! my heart melted and i fell in love, deeeeeep in love with kev! oooo, i started to cry when win got sick and he wouldnt leave her that was it my heart belonged to this man. its a re-read for sure and i cant wait to buy the entire hathaways collection. are the rest just as good? i assume that the next must be about ms hawks and leo right? im just warm all over because of this book..

Shawna The next book is Poppy's and Harry's book Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3) by Lisa Kleypas, followed by Leo's book Married By Morning (The Hathaways #4) by Lisa Kleypas, and then Beatrix's story Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5) by Lisa Kleypas. And yes, they're all fantastic! In fact, they're all so amazing that it's really hard to claim a favorite.

Theresa Contreras well i just finished mine till midnight and wow, i cant believe how much i love this little family. i rushed to ebay and ordered the rest. i also read 2.5 and found it very cute...