Michelle's Reviews > City of Bones

Mar 20, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: 2009, fantasy, ya, vamps-wolves
Read in March, 2009 , read count: 1

Like many other reviewers, I too had trouble slogging through the 400+ pages of inconsistent characterizations, massive plot holes and overall poor timing. The characters were so reminiscent of other YA novels only here their personalities came off grainier and not very sharp. And let’s discuss our villain for a moment shall we? 1) a human who claims to hate anything non-human but 2) will kill humans for his own nefarious purpose the first chance he gets by 3) using his minions of non-humans under his control. Confusing much?

And me again, 100+ pages later: “Ahh! She did go there! Blech!! Blech!!”

Another peeve was that the author kept defining words that really didn’t need to be – come on, the average YA audience isn’t THAT dumb!

So in a nutshell: meh..
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Chachic And the big plot revelation? I kept thinking: “No, she’s not going to go there…is she? I mean she can’t -- can she?!”

And me again, 100+ pages later: “Ahh! She did go there! Blech!! Blech!!”

I know what you're talking about! I had the same thoughts when I read it. I really wanted to like it though because it had great world building. I just couldn't get over that one plot detail. :(