Sarah's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Jan 07, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, library-book, mcpl-monroe-county-public-library, psychology, self-help, business
Read in January, 2013

YOU CAN SHUT UP UNIVERSE, I FINALLY READ THIS GOSH DARNED BRIGHT YELLOW BOOK.

This book's tone is a little too business-book to win my heart, but gorram it I loved those little drawings.

HABITS:

Cue
Routine
Reward

THE END

I do feel like this is important information, but at some points I thought he was stretching it a little. Specifically, in the bit about office alliances and the Montgomery bus boycott. I mean, it was interesting to read, I just didn't see the connection as strongly as I did when he was going on about nail-biters and cookie-eaters.

(There's a cue for cookie-eating right there. I thought about a cookie; I want to eat a cookie. I'm not sure how I'm going to modify that habit. I'm pretty sure the thing I want when when I think about cookies isn't distraction or companions. IT'S ALL TEH COOKIES.)

Personally, the hardest thing for me is going to be identifying the bad habits in the first place. I don't know that my bad habits are definite activities so much as a pattern of sloth and general apathy. What is the cue for laziness? Being awake, mainly. What to do, what to do?

On the other hand, subconscious me, what is the reward for being lazy? Not smelling too bad? Not having have had to stand up a couple times? Uhh?

Lord. This is going to be hard.

(Oh, also, PS: Carry cash.)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.