Brian's Reviews > Everything Is Fine.

Everything Is Fine. by Ann Dee Ellis

Apr 26, 09

I finished Everything is Fine in about one sitting. The writing is so crisp and minimalist and evocative that you devour the story before realizing what Ann Dee's up to. She doesn't give us much time to reflect, which makes it all the more necessary to pay attention to the psychological nuance. This book's main character is as disturbing as the hapless protagonist in This is What I Did, Ann Dee's first book, and just as endearing. She gives us limited access to a vulnerable person whose interior world seems so exposed to us, but we learn what Mazzy feels more by visual cues, her little tics and anxious movements, than what she says. Ann Dee's prose style is more poetry than prose, which makes for fast, to-the-gut reading. Just as we're easing into the cadence of a broken domestic life, tragedy strikes, and the tragedy serves less as a plot device than an illumination of what has gone before. Ann Dee has a keen sense of teen conversation, a mixture of stupid goofing and razor's edge feelings. We're more eavesdroppers than anything--interior access is barred, which makes the lightning revelations more important as they accumulate into a prose poem of fragile youth, written with charity and insight.

(Disclaimer: Ann Dee's a good friend of mine!)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Is Fine..