Bonnie's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Jun 04, 13

bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2013

Good reads summary:
"Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.
Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle--and people in general--has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.
To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence--creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world."

My take: Bernadette is intelligent, wacky, loving, mysterious and totally dsyfunctional - all rolled up into one flawed yet wonderful character. If she were real, I'd love to hang out with her! I loved the style of narration - told from the point of view of her 15 year old daughter, through a combination of emails, memos and annecdotes. It was a quick read for me, sat down fri night and finished it saturday morning. I didn't love the ending but highly recommend for all who love a good, quirky book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.