Stephanie's Reviews > Crash

Crash by Lisa McMann

F_50x66
Jan 07, 13

Read in December, 2012

Okay - I love Lisa's writing - all of it. All ages...but this one sets itself apart! This was a very fast read - I started it on a Sunday morning, got NOTHING else done that day, and finished it that evening. It read like a movie and just flew by.

Jules has the issues and angst of being a teenager, with a secret crush and all the heartache that goes with it, while dealing with a Romeo and Juliet type family situation. Oh, and there is that little thing of seeing these fiery visions on every form of media around her. She has no idea why she sees them, and frankly it doesn't matter. There is no long drawn out "Why me?" and the even longer "Oh, I have discovered why!" that so many books now feel necessary. It is what it is and move on. I appreciate that. I don't need to know why she has this - I like seeing what she does with it. How she discovers what is necessary. As for Sawyer - he is grounded and real.

That is the thing - this is a fiction novel so whether you believe in visions or not, you just have to go with it. But the people in fiction still have to reach out and appeal to you. Jules, her siblings, and Sawyer have the same problems that teens at the local high school have. Parents that don't understand them, families that embarrass them and crushes that don't seem to see them. They have to worry about grades, college and curfews. I think that is why the book read so fast - you could relate and wanted to see how they solved their problems. How did they deal with? Can any of that be brought out of the book and in to life?

Teens will relate and for anyone who has not read Lisa's other teen books, this is a great gateway book. Yes, Lisa McMann's books are addictive and any of them can be gateways...be forewarned! The only problem with reading this now is waiting for the next one to come out. The ending for this explosive (HA! Sorry - bad pun - couldn't help it!) but is intriguing and I can't wait for the next installment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash.