Adrienne's Reviews > Frenchman's Creek

Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier

2087365
Apr 18, 09

this is a book i've read alot over the years::no sex::written too long ago for that::but full of passion and adventure::
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frenchman's Creek.

message 1: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I loved this book too but was sad no HEA :-(

Adrienne A friend of mine read it as no HEA but I've always thought it was abit of an ambiguous ending some may call me deluded but I like to think Dona had her HEA.

message 3: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully **scratches head**

It's been a while since I read it but didn't he sail away and she stayed with her family?

message 4: by Adrienne (last edited Feb 27, 2010 01:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adrienne ooh the last chapter starts with Dona saying that she will become a grand mother and the cabin boy will cry, and Jean implies he will eventually forget what the cabin boy looked like aside from the pictures he'd drawn of him. But in the last few paragraphes when they're on the beach together, as sun comes up as a fiery red hot ball burning the horizon,it refers to the ship as being like 'a symbol of escape' it never actually says that Dona doesn't get into the fishing boat with him to sail away. I don't know enough about Daphne DM to know how she perceived the ending , but I do know that she was a feisty lady very much an independant character, so I like to think that at that last moment as the fishing boat slips away from the shore Dona has the courage to go. The ending of the film is quite definate he's gone she stays. I've always thought it was a cop out by the directors because the film was made in the 30's or 40's and I assume they couldn't be seen to even suggest leaving your obnoxious rich hubby for a frenchy heathen.

Jessica Adrienne, I've been drooling over this book all week, and I'm trying to talk myself into either ordering it from Amazon or going downtown to buy it.

I've seen the movie from the 40's, and the remake from not too long ago (frankly the original was better). I can't wait to read this. I'm hoping this will be one where we can both agree on the way the book comes across ;) lol

Adrienne It's a marvellous story Jesica, I've lost count of the number of times I've read it.