Leslie's Reviews > Crazy for the Storm

Crazy for the Storm by Norman Ollestad

Mar 20, 09

bookshelves: memoirs
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Crazy for the Storm is by man who was stranded alone on the side of an icey mountain when he was only 11 years old. The private plane he was on crashed, and all the adults--his dad, his dad's girlfriend, and the pilot died. He tells in excruciating detail what he went through to get to a meadow on the bottom of the mounatin alive. Those chapters alternate with chapters about his childhood on Topanga Beach. He lives with his mom and her abusive boyfriends and has scary, exciting adventures with his dad who pushes and pushes him to more daring accomplishments in skiing and surfing when he is very young.
Usually when an author does alternating plot lines in alternating chapters, one is so much more compelling that the other that I end up skipping every other chapter to read just the story I want to read and then go back and read the rest--or not. Not this time. Norman's life, a combination of terror, exhileration, anger, and love for his dad was as interesting as the day he spent on the side of that mountain--that one day that felt like centuries.
After the ordeal Norman has to go back and live with his mom and her boyfriend without his dad, with the guilt of not saving his dad and the girlfriend, who did live a little while. I was thinking--nobody got this kid any therapy? Even when he got angry, aggressive, and mean? Very strange. He was neglected as well as abused.
At the end of the book he goes back and finds out what really happened that day, why the plane.
I really enjoyed this and read it in about 2 days. Couldn't put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy for the Storm.