Bridgette Davis's Reviews > Empress of the World

Empress of the World by Sara Ryan

Mar 20, 2009

Read in March, 2009

This book was a lot better than I anticipated. The summer college program is represented well and I think would make most kids want to attend one. I also like the lack of certainty in the characters - very believable. The plot moves really quick (a little too quick for me) but at the right pace for student readers who are likely to become board.

I read this book in one night & didn't really put it down! It's a great little love story and the sequel should be good.

Nic is a girl who I definitely identify with and while you may find yourself kind of falling for battle (especially when she decides to shave her head in rebellion), I definitely became easily frustrated with her flakiness.

I don't know if this was out of genuine frustration with the character or because I can easily envision all of the various "battles" from my past! Yikes...who wants to get ditched for a guy?!?

While the memory can be a bit bothersome, this book helps to make light of it, see the error of your ways, laugh and yourself, and laugh at the notion of binary sexuality at all.

Great read for multicultural lit or other middle school - early high school readers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empress of the World.