LMM's Reviews > Iron Kissed

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

Aug 31, 09

bookshelves: overrated, paranormal-pnr
Read in March, 2009

The title keeps giving the story away. I knew it was going to be about Zee & Mercy was going to come running to the rescue.

Well I was pretty ticked off with this book for various reasons.

In reading this series, Briggs has wanted us to believe in this love triangle & while reading it I have really gotten the sense that she was avoiding writing intimate scenes by any means possible.

When thinking that I then said to myself: "Oh man, please don't have her write Mercy being raped. That would be lame on so many levels."

And lo & behold - Mercy goes & gets rapes. The thing is.... when I wondered if Briggs would go there, I thought 2 things:

A): It was going to be so Briggs could have a legit reason for Mercy to avoid any intimacy (& thereby Briggs' wouldn't have to write a physical scene of any sort) & she could keep dragging the so-called romantic tension, out.

B): Briggs will use it as a plot & character development device in order to finally have Mercy 'go there' & choose a man.

It ended up being B & what a freakin' let down. I HATE, hate when author's irresponsibly use rape as a plot device b'c they can't come up w/something more original to move the progression of the stories/character forward. And in this case - that is what I felt it was. I felt it was pretty irresponsible.

Also - the scene itself - I thought really lacked the emotional umphf it needed to drive home how traumatic it was for Mercy. At least for me. Again it was written vaguely. And I am finding there is an overall lack of detail in Brigg's writing.

I won't get into the rant I have about b'c this would end up being pretty darn long but suffice it to say, it was again totally predictable (I knew as soon as she met that geeky guy - he was going to end up raping her) & it just really fell flat for me on a emotional stunted level as well as finding it kind of boring.

There are far better writers who make far better characters much more detailed, involved & compelling (Night Huntress series, Georgina Kincaid, Sookie Stackhouse, Fever series - to name a few).

8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Kissed.

message 1: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas Sookie Stackhouse is the one that True Blood came from right? Anyone else you would recommend? I'm sorta new to UF.